Open to: Bilingual high school teachers.
Opportunity at a Glance: Participate in a four-day professional learning community opportunity (PLC) focused on the “New” Science Standards. The new standards invite teachers to implement science instruction that mirrors how scientists and engineers work in the real world and thus requires an in-depth understanding of the standards. Teachers will learn to recognize how the instructional and conceptual shifts provide an opportunity for English Language Learners to acquire language and content concurrently. Participants must commit to all four sessions that will cover:
- The Next Generation Science Standards and the “New” New York State k-12 Science Learning Standards.
- The new science standards’ 3-dimensional instruction, phenomena, and storylines.
- The instructional and conceptual shifts present in the new standards
- The language demands and opportunities that the new standards provide for English Language Learners.
- Monday, January 8; 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Monday, February 5; 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Monday, March 5; 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- April 10; 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Registration deadline: Rolling until full.