Open to: High School Science Teachers
Opportunity at a Glance: In this Professional Learning series, participants will engage in an in-depth exploration of “literacy beyond the textbook”. Participants during this series will do the following:
- Explore how different text sources can augment traditional high school textbook resources;
- Explore how, as science teachers, we can build our students’ skills in interpreting, synthesizing, and communicating information from text sources;
- Focus on strategies for selecting text sources, ways to build students’ skills in interpretation, sense making and validation of primary and secondary scientific texts; and
- Finally, learn how to use texts to support culturally responsive teaching and critical analysis of current events in science.
- Tuesday-Thursday July 13th -15th from 9:00a.m.-10:30a.m.
- Tuesday-Thursday July 27th-29th from 1:00p.m.- 2:30p.m.
- Tuesday-Thursday August 3rd-5th, 3:00p.m. – 4:30p.m.
Location: Zoom meeting – link to be provided to registrants
Registration deadline: 07/09/2021
Take action: Register at https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Freg.abcsignup.com%2Freg%2Fevent_page.aspx%3Fek%3D0035-0011-42421ab84b5c465d996b2af51f3d753d&data=04%7C01%7CMBan%40schools.nyc.gov%7Cb1f39cd04f74490b317508d93b3fdbb3%7C18492cb7ef45456185710c42e5f7ac07%7C0%7C0%7C637605967721556493%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=%2FE20OxbidETABseXIqAj1ln8bCQSeaw6vm%2FfKPPSLx0%3D&reserved=0
For more information: STEM@schools.nyc.gov